Back in 2018, when I got back into painting miniatures with Star Wars: Rebellion, I found that for whatever reason, I really like painting dirty white. Then I liked the World Eaters captain Skraal in the otherwise pedestrian Battle for the Abyss, as well as the bonding between Angron and Khârn in After Desh'ea. And the World Eaters are really good in Legions Imperialis.
So, when I was painting my Word Bearers, I decided to try a World Eaters livery on a spare command stand. However, I felt that an ordinary command stand would be boring, so I swapped the two bolter marines for spare sergeant models. I did a weapon swap between the plasma gunner leader and one of the assault marines, which I think worked quite nicely.
I gave them an Ivory base coat, with Medium Blue shoulder pads and various details, followed by a Smoke wash.
I like how this looks! I also decided to try the legion colors on some Spartans, and again, the result was delightful.
I also accidentally some Contemptors.
So as you can see, I got a bit carried away. When I got my Termites, I also painted two of them in World Eaters colors.
And finally, when Shaun gave me two Mastodons, how was I supposed to not paint one of them white?
The idea of a World Eaters Mastodon is simply irresistable. I could put the Contemptors in it.
**
I was thinking I'd wait for some more World Eaters-appropriate infantry until I continued this project - surely we must get Despoilers or something at some point - but I think it was the Mastodon that tipped me over into painting a full demi-company.
This also meant finishing the assault detachment.
And some Rhinos, of course.
So, let's call this the 117th Company, II Battalion, 11th Chapter of the World Eaters. I also did a couple of Terminator stands.
**
I'm a little uncertain of how to play World Eaters in any game, really. If you read Betrayer, you really get the impression that the post-Nails World Eaters are barely an army any more, but rather a horde of maniacs. In Legions terms, they should only ever be allowed Charge orders, or maybe something like being able to take normal orders on turn 1, but then only Charge or March on turn 2 and only Charge from then on.
For these guys, I'm going to decide that they're a separate group from Angron's main fleet, so they haven't been implanted with the Nails yet and can operate more or less like normal Marines. At least to the extent the World Eaters ever did.
Soon I'll have the opportunity to see how they do on the tabletop!










No comments:
Post a Comment