- The Horus Heresy: Primarchs: Sanguinius: The Great Angel, Chris Wraight
I liked Chris Wraight's White Scars novels, and I've already started painting some traitor Blood Angels for Legions Imperialis because of Fear to Tread. So I chose Wraight's Sanguinius to be the last Horus Heresy novel I read before moving on to the Siege of Terra series.
It's funny that I just mentioned remembrancers when talking about Alpharius, and here we are starting Sanguinius with one. Disgraced remembrancer Avajis Kautenya is sent to meet Sanguinius and chronicle the deeds of his legion. He's gotten in trouble before for being too critical, and he's told to be as critical as he can be here. So he travels with the Blood Angels, watches them go to war, and just does the whole remembrancer thing as if this was Horus Rising all over again.
Other than starring the Blood Angels, Sanguinius is also like Fear to Tread in that you know what's coming, even though the protagonist doesn't, and it still works. I mean everyone at least a little bit familiar with the fluff knows what the terrible dark secret of the Blood Angels is, but it doesn't matter because the story's written so well. It's also a perfect volume to end this stage of my project on, as it starts with the Horus Rising vibes and ends on an epilogue set after the Heresy, when the Imperial cult is being set up. Very entertaining, highly recommended.
No comments:
Post a Comment