Aug 10, 2020

Warhammer 40,000: Imperial reinforcements

We command bread and awe!
- misheard Sisters of Battle line from Dawn of War: Soulstorm


I made a new year's resolution to finish modeling projects, and when most of my teaching work evaporated because of the pandemic, what else was I supposed to do except paint? Therefore, here are some random Imperial units I've picked up over the last few years, finally painted.


Aubrey Beardsley: The Achieving of the Sangreal (1893-94)

**

I got a Scout Sentinel in Ophir colors, because I like Sentinels. They're very handy in Dawn of War: Winter Assault and Gladius! The legs and the inside of the cockpit are in German Camo Dark Green.


We also participated in the Victoria Miniatures charity drive in the wake of the terrible bush fires in Australia by buying a Kangaroo APC, which I'm happy to report is an excellent model. Here it is as a van Diemen pattern Chimera in Chirikov Rad-Guards colors.


I also painted a Jokaero! Delightfully, one of the special resource tiles in Gladius is a Jokaero encampment, and it inspired me to get one for myself.


**

I painted up my old metal Sisters earlier, but even before the new codex came out, I was keen to expand my collection. Or as they put it in Soulstorm: Behold! The Immolator!


Hint to anyone assembling the old Immolator kit: figure out how the frame for the glass dome fits into the turret before gluing any of it together. The instructions really don't make this clear, and it'll save you some trouble. I actually prefer this model to the new Immolator; I mean there's baroque grimdark and then there's that stained glass window...

My Sisters are from the Order of the Sorores Gratiae, and have made an appearance in my Rogue Trader tabletop campaign, where Canoness Julia Aquilia is currently leading a crusade against the foul xenos in the Acheron sector. Their home world is the shrine world of Lavina in Tertia Pars of the Acheron sector, and they wear emerald robes over their black armor.

Eventually, of course, the codex came out. As it happened, the first models I ended up building out of the new range were a Rogue Trader Arch-militant and a Sister Hospitaller, using a Kromlech apothecary conversion kit. I didn't like the new Hospitaller model; I'm all for scenic bases, but when it starts to feel like you're moving an entire diorama around the tabletop, it's too far for my taste. Instead I made her:


However, this highlighted a problem. Compared to the ancient metal figures, the new Sisters are gigantic.


You could maybe get away with having old and new Sisters in the same army, but the same unit? No way. So there goes my detachment idea.

I still made a Preacher from a Raging Heroes Davidian:


**

So, the long-awaited plastic Sisters turn out to be a mixed blessing. I kind of like the squad box, but like I said, the parts aren't as interchangeable as I'd have hoped, so they're actually not that interesting to build. I also get that they needed to scale up the Sisters because of how tiny the old metal models were, but I'm still disappointed the difference was so massive.

Also, of course, we're now in ninth edition, which seems to confirm that the turnaround in editions is now three years. That's just completely absurd, and I can definitely feel my interest in keeping up with Warhammer collapse. It's time to look at other miniature games.

No comments: