Aug 7, 2023

Battletech: Let's Paint a Magistracy Army

I'm delighted that Catalyst Game Labs, who currently publish Battletech, are standing up against bigotry. I also enjoyed painting my first ever mechs and trying the game. So I bought some more of them from Iron Wind Metals. Iron Wind used to be Ral Partha, a name I definitely recognize from way back!


**

To start with, how was I supposed to not get myself some Badgers (AR20-744)? They're cute little vehicles and the models are quite decent quality. I'm actually enjoying working with metal models again, believe it or not. Here they are in the colors of the Magistracy.


I also got two Vedette tanks: more products of Bordello Military Goods, Inc.


And a Mobile Long Tom self-propelled gun, which strongly reminds me of the G.I. Joe Thunderclap.


**

The vehicles are all very cute, and they give me flashbacks to Space Marine. I also wanted to try some Inner Sphere Standard battle armor, i.e. power armor dudes, from Ral Partha.


**

I haven't entirely forgotten about mechs! Since there is a Venom, I had to have one.


I also painted a Shockwave, mostly because the model is cool, but also Shockwave.


I also got myself a BJ-1 Blackjack (20-880), because if I recall correctly, it was the mech you started with in the Battletech video game.


**

Mechs and vehicles and so on are all well and good, but you can get those in other miniature wargames as well. Very few of those, however, have submarines. Behold the MCS/m Venom (11)!


When I found out that Battletech had submarines, I simply had to get one.


Mind you, that's just the surfaced version. The Neptune blister also comes with a submerged version, and that one's quite a bit more interesting.

The submerged Neptune has a little metal stand to hold it up, but frankly, it looks flimsy and I can do better. I've got some small Games Workshop flying stands and those Ral Partha hex bases. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the base, filled the base with Vallejo putty, and stuck in the flying stand to make a properly shaped hole. Here's what it looks like after spray-painting.


And this is the whole thing! I think it's wonderful.


Here they are side by side.


**

Dipping into Battletech has been fun! I've really enjoyed working with metal miniatures again, and I thoroughly appreciate the absurdity of the submarine. I may have to look into some infantry and artillery. And hey, this is the closest I can get to Epic. Or so I thought!

No comments: