Feb 27, 2023

Warhammer 40,000: Armigers

"Very good. Now for the next riddle:

Poets know the hearts of Men and Mer
But beasts can't know my heart, you see
This book was written by a bear..."

 - Salyn Sarethi

Back in the summer of 2019, I built my first ever Knights: two Chaos War Dogs for a battle against the Imperium, where they were promptly shot to bits. I was happy enough with them, however, that I wanted to make more.


They were my first attempt at freehand Daedric, which I later also used on my Renegades and Heretics and Titans.

The Helverins that shot up my army were so terrifying that I decided to start by making one for myself. I had an AT-ST from some discontinued German Imperial Assault boxes I bought, so I glued together some Imperial Guard autocannons to give it slightly more Helverin-like weapons, and slapped on a Chaos emblem from the vehicle upgrade sprue.


Meet Renegade Armiger Dearola.


**

I was also inspired by Goatboy's enthusiasm to get a Knight Moirax with lightning locks. Interestingly, the kit was basically a plastic Armiger with some resin bits. I still cordially dislike working with resin, but Forge World really has come a long way.


I repeated the metallic, black and red base colors from my earlier Armigers.


The obvious Daedra to name a lightning-themed Knight after would have been Meridia, but I already have a Renegade Armiger Meridia. The only other Daedric Prince with a connection to lightning is Sheogorath; therefore, this is Renegade Armiger Sheogorath.


And here are all my Renegade Armigers.


**

As I was building Sheogorath, it occurred to me that I also had two Armiger Helverins I'd bought on a whim years ago, to deploy alongside my Mechanicum Knight. Here they are in the appropriate Machine Cult livery.


Now, I may or may not have bought the new Horus Heresy box when it came out. Liber Mechanicum tells me that what I have here is, in fact, an entirely viable Questoris Household detachment, just a little shy of 800 points.


So it turns out that not only have I built and painted all my Armigers, but I also now have a Horus Heresy army.

**

I have to say, I like Knights. Every now and then, I think I should just not do anything 40k smaller than a Lord of War. Then I usually get my next infantry unit conversion idea.

No comments: