Mar 11, 2019

Blood Bowl: Turboleague, part Deux

Back in 2012 (geez, really?!), we played a season of Blood Bowl. I coached a High Elf team, the Tor Achare Titans. The league was eventually abandoned; after the last game, the team with the most points was Braga's Brutes (Orc), with a 5-1-0 record, who were declared Hellbird Turbocup champions by default. My High Elves were second, going 3-3-0.

All in all, it was fun enough that I think we should do it again. I've even got bleachers and everything. Last time, we tried to have a very organized league, with everybody signing on beforehand to play a home-and-home series with everybody else and so on. What ended up happening is that people just sort of gave up on the whole thing, and we never did finish it. So this time around, I'm thinking of a far more flexible format, that can handle anything from just a couple of casual games to a full-blown league with multiple competitive teams. This is what I came up with.

Turboleague format

Each coach has one team, generated as usual with a starting treasury of 1 000 000 gold pieces. The team with the most points on 23.12. is the league champion. The next season starts 26.12. Points are awarded as follows:

  - four (4) points for a win
  - two (2) points for a tie
  - one (1) point for a loss

Tiebreakers: wins, head-to-head record, touchdowns scored, casualties scored, fatalities scored.

Teams may play each other any number of times, but only the best two results against any single opponent count for the standings. There is no challenge system; no-one is ever obliged to play anyone. Teams may join or leave the league at any time during the season. Anyone may apply to join the league by contacting the commissioner (me); applications are accepted at the discretion of the commissioner.

The objective of these league rules is not to deliver a finely balanced competition, but rather to organize a series of fairly random pick-up games into a semicoherent whole.

We will be using the Competitive Rules Pack (CRP), which is available online. If someone wants to play one of the new teams (Chaos Pact, Slann, Underworld), I don't see why not.

**

Speaking of my bleachers, by the way, I found some fairly ancient space ork sprues with two bodies still on them, so:


Also, we ordered some stuff from Eureka Miniatures, and they were kind enough to give us a frog standard bearer as a free sample, so here they are, along with a member of the pirate lady gun crew:


**

I'll be playing dark elves myself, with a slight variation on the all positionals starting roster.

6 × lineman (420,000)
2 × blitzer (200,000)
1 × assassin (90,000)
1 × runner (80,000)
1 × witch elf (110,000)

For a total of 900,000 gp, meaning we can have two re-rolls as well!

This is, in fact, the same lineup that Mephala's Murderers started the last time we played; I think it's the best dark elf starting option if you want to try all the different player types, which is my main goal this season. Also, I did just fine with two blitzers when I played high elves.

For miniatures, I got a Shadowforge Miniatures Wicked Elf Gridiron Team. They're maybe not the most exquisitely detailed models you could get, but I like them, they've got character, and the pricing is very competitive.

The Sheogorad Saints

#5: Jenassa Samarys, runner
#11: Barenziah Targaryen, witch elf
#33: Raven Dren, assassin
#37: Fieryra Targaryen, blitzer
#44: Irileth Targaryen, blitzer
#50: Methulu Ienith, line-elf
#55: Aralosea Romori, line-elf
#69: Darane Mencele, line-elf
#71: Hlireni Indavel, line-elf
#73: Brelda Quintella, line-elf
#77: Endroni Dalas, line-elf

**

So here we are, ready to play a random number of Blood Bowl games! If and when we get around to it, I'll be posting game reports here.

No comments: