Feb 15, 2021

Blood Bowl: Star players and staff

While I was looking for my ancient plastic orcs, I made an unexpected Blood Bowl discovery. That's a poorly painted Zara the Slayer on the left, but the model on the right was a total mystery to me.


Apparently I have, at some point, made a conversion out of a 1988 Chaos Champion and Flint Churnblade, to create a model for Max Spleenripper. I mean I also found all the leftover bits, so clearly I made this model, but I have no memory of doing so at all. I tidied them both up a bit.


I also have a 1994 vintage Norse Blitzer, who I've converted into Helmut Wulf, an intact copy of Flint Churnblade, and a skeleton fellow who must be Hack Enslash. I can't remember why I had such a thing for chainsaws back whenever this was. Doom, probably. He's joined by a 2003 Elf Blitzer who I've painted up as Eldril Sidewinder.


This guy, on the other hand, is a fairly ancient dwarf adventurer, who I vaguely recall I was going to use as an assistant coach.



Finally in my old model roundup, I made these two delightful wizards for Blood Bowl use, and it was high time they, too, got painted.



**

In more recent decades, I ordered some orcs from Kromlech, and they were kind enough to include a complementary Goblin Nurse with our order, so I assembled him for use as a Blood Bowl Apothecary.


I also got a pair of Beer Garden Beauties from Impact Miniatures, to use as Bloodweiser Babes.


And Impact's Halfling Hot Dog Vendor was perfect for a Halfling Master Chef.



**

Earlier, I got some Hungry Troll miniatures, and painted up a couple of their goblins for my stands. I have to say, though, that I was very disappointed in the quality of their multi-part metal miniatures. I really like their Shark Troll, but it came in four parts which, quite frankly, do not fit together. Even after quite a bit of filing, there was simply no way to glue the right hand or head on without leaving horrible gaps.


Trying to attach the tail was so hopeless I gave up. It's a real shame, because this is a nicely sculpted miniature, but it's just badly made. I actually threw away a goblin I ordered because there was just no way to make the hands fit the arms without gaps so massive that it almost looked like I was trying to fit the wrong bits together. So I'd avoid the multi-part kits. Here's the finished shark troll:



I'm bummed, because the models are quite characterful and I wanted to like them. I'm happy G.P. LeChuck here came in one piece!




**


I'd also like to introduce some new spectators. Here's a working lady from Warlord's Pike and Shotte Townsfolk:


A Warmonger Plague Doctor and some Vampires:



And a Warhammer Fantasy Minotaur and Bad Squiddo's Freya for the back row.


I also added some goblins: a Goblin Hooligan and Goblin #4 from Hungry Troll miniatures, as well as two fellows from Warmonger's lovely Goblin Drunks set.






Finally, I'm delighted to introduce my first Mithril Miniatures: Pippin and Bergil! Back in the day, our friendly local gaming store had a huge wall of these blister packs, and it was a joy to find them still sold online. Bergil is dressed in somber grey, as appropriate for the declining death-city of Minas Tirith, while Peregrin is in uniform.



**

So here we are, hoping that the pandemic subsides enough that we can play some more Blood Bowl soon!

No comments: