Oct 4, 2021

Warhammer 40,000: Powerslave

In the valley of the kings
When the storm breaks loose again
Then the gods return to fight
For the future in their lives
In the valley of the kings
- Gamma Ray: Valley of the Kings



I blame Munchkin Warhammer 40,000 and Gladius - Relics of War for this. I've had a ton of fun playing Munchkin as a Necron, and the Annihilation Barge has served me excellently as a vehicle. We had one game where I think at least three of us drew the Necron army, and we kept referring to each other as "my fellow Necron". In memory of that game, I'm definitely painting my Necrons gold.


Therefore, my Necrons will represent the Nebew Dynasty, counting as Nephrekh for rules purposes.

**

What kicked off the actual collection was a Warlord Games sale. They used to do a miniature game based on Terminator: Genisys, and were selling plastic Terminator sprues at a clearance price. I got twenty sprues, which I recall set me back about £10 in total. They're good models!


Once I got around to playing Gladius as the Necrons, I finally got some kind of feel for the army, and bought the (8th ed.) codex. It vindicated my decision to paint my Necrons gold.


That's Old Gold with a wash of Black Glaze, and frankly, I'm very pleased! Ten of these guys make a minimum-strength squad of Necron Warriors, so if you like, here's two of them:


A battalion detachment would need a third troop choice. Like these Necron Immortals, for instance!


But to make any kind of detachment, we'll need an HQ unit. I mentioned that Annihilation Barge; the kit doubles as a Catacomb Command Barge, so building it as an Annihilation Barge leaves one Necron Overlord left over. Here they are:


I kept the dark green theme of my various armies going with the cloak, which I think worked out surprisingly well.

**

Finally, the Annihilation Barge. I ended up building and painting this kit in little bits over a fairly long time, but it was good fun, especially since it's quite different from anything I've made before. It's still a bit of a work in progress, so you only get a rubbish picture!


I've equipped it with what I hope is a gauss cannon. It's a very good vehicle in Munchkin!

**

So now I have a tiny army of golden Necrons. That was a fun little project; we'll see, maybe I'll even try fielding them in 40k one of these days.

No comments: